The presentations from MicroStrategy World 2014 – Las Vegas are now available on the MicroStrategy web site. However, you are going to have to work a bit at getting them.
To access the PDF files of the presentations or watch the videos available, you must have established a Resource Center account with MicroStrategy and you must have downloaded Usher Identity to your smartphone.
I have included the instructions below that MicroStrategy has provided on how to access these PDF files and videos. I have added annotations (in blue) where I felt it will help you along in the process.
Link to the Presentations
The link to MicroStrategy World 2014 – Las Vegas session presentations and videos is:
The session presentations and videos are available by Track/Session as noted below. Click on the “+” sign next to the track to reveal all the sessions below, then click on the session title to access the presentation or video material.
My comment: Saving the PDF files to your hard disk from the sessions seemed to work best using Mozilla Firefox, then Google Chrome, and then Internet Explorer 11. I recommend you install Mozilla Firefox on your PC or laptop for situations like this where IE acts funky and won’t cooperate.
All content is secured by the Usher Mobile Identity Platform, and you must log in with the Usher Identity application to access it. If you don’t know how to log in with the Usher Identity application, then continue reading.
How to log in with Usher
An Usher Stamp will appear the first time you try to access the media below. To access the media, simply authenticate yourself by scanning this stamp with the Usher Identity application on your smartphone . You will only need to authenticate yourself once.
- If you already have the Usher Identity app on your smartphone: Authenticate yourself by scanning the Usher Stamp with the Usher Identity application on your smartphone. To do this, open Usher Identity on your device and swipe up on your badge to reveal the scanner.
- If you do not yet have the Usher Identity application on your iOS or Android smartphone: You can get the application easily. Click on the “Don’t have Usher?” link in the popup window to register and download the app. If you don’t have an existing Resource Center account, just choose create a new account. After you login/create your account, you’ll receive a confirmation email with a link to download the Usher Identity application and directions about how to load your MicroStrategy User badge. Follow the steps in the email and you will be ready to authenticate yourself, as described above, to access the MicroStrategy World session materials.
For support with the Usher application or in gaining access to the sessions, please reach out to email@example.com.
Gartner has just released its 2014 Magic Quadrant for Business Intelligence and Analytics Platforms.
I need a few days to soak this in and better comment on it. But, for now, I thought I would share the Magic Quadrant with you.
You can see the entire report by clicking here.
Gartner describes and defines the market as follows.
The BI and analytics platform market is in the middle of an accelerated transformation from BI systems used primarily for measurement and reporting to those that also support analysis, prediction, forecasting and optimization. Because of the growing importance of advanced analytics for descriptive, prescriptive and predictive modeling, forecasting, simulation and optimization (see “Extend Your Portfolio of Analytics Capabilities”) in the BI and information management applications and infrastructure that companies are building — often with different buyers driving purchasing and different vendors offering solutions — this year Gartner has also published a Magic Quadrant exclusively on predictive and prescriptive analytics platforms (see Note 1). Vendors offering both sets of capabilities are featured in both Magic Quadrants.
The BI platform market is forecast to have grown into a $14.1 billion market in 2013, largely through companies investing in IT-led consolidation projects to standardize on IT-centric BI platforms for large-scale systems-of-record reporting (see “Forecast: Enterprise Software Markets, Worldwide, 2010-2017, 3Q13 Update”). These have tended to be highly governed and centralized, where IT production reports were pushed out to inform a broad array of information consumers and analysts. While analytical capabilities were deployed, such as parameterized reports, online analytical processing (OLAP) and ad hoc query, they were never fully embraced by the majority of business users, managers and analysts, primarily because most considered these too difficult to use for many analytical use cases. As a result, and continuing a five-year trend, these installed platforms are routinely being complemented, and in 2013 were increasingly displaced, in new sales situations by new investments, and requirements were more skewed toward business-user-driven data discovery techniques to make analytics beyond traditional reporting more accessible and pervasive to a broader range of users and use cases.
Also in support of wider adoption, companies and independent software vendors are increasingly embedding both traditional reporting, dashboards and interactive analysis, in addition to more advanced and prescriptive analytics built from statistical functions and algorithms available within the BI platform into business processes or applications. The intent is to expand the use of analytics to a broad range of consumers and nontraditional BI users, increasingly on mobile devices. Moreover, companies are increasingly building analytics applications, leveraging new data types and new types of analysis, such as location intelligence and analytics on multistructured data stored in NoSQL data repositories.
MicroStrategy Highlighted for the Value its Mobile Solution Provides to Enterprises, with Top Score in Five Out of Seven Categories
TYSONS CORNER, Va., Feb. 20, 2014 /PRNewswire/ – MicroStrategy® Incorporated (Nasdaq: MSTR), a leading worldwide provider of enterprise software platforms, today announced that its Mobile App Platform ranks number one in Ventana Research’s 2014 Value Index for Mobile Business Intelligence (BI) research. Ranked first out of 16 mobile BI vendors, MicroStrategy was cited for the value its solution provides to its customers, with the highest rating in usability, manageability, reliability, capability and validation.
Ventana Research’s Value Index Captures Both IT and Business-Centric Perspectives
According to the Ventana Research report, “The top three companies’ products all provide strong user experiences and functionality, but MicroStrategy stood out across the board, finishing first in five categories and most notably in the areas of the business user experience, mobile application development, and presentation of information.”
“It is clear that today’s mobile workforce requires the ability to access information and analyze data simply, straightforwardly and using an intuitive interface,” said Mark Smith, CEO and Chief Research Officer, Ventana Research. “MicroStrategy’s continued investment and excellent customer examples demonstrate its commitment to mobile BI across smartphones and tablets and helping customers design and deploy applications that provide significant business value but also in a safe and secure manner.”
MicroStrategy President Paul Zolfaghari said: “We are thrilled to earn this number one ranking in Ventana Research’s Value Index for Mobile BI. Since 2009, MicroStrategy has led the way with its innovative mobile platform, which continues to be highly esteemed by independent analysts and thousands of enterprises worldwide. Our customers get value quickly from their MicroStrategy Mobile™ solutions, and this recognition underscores how integral the MicroStrategy Mobile App Platform™ is to the future of their businesses.”
Ventana Research’s 2014 Value Index for Mobile BI evaluated vendors and their products in seven categories of requirements. Five categories are product-related, including assessing usability, manageability, reliability, capability, and adaptability. Two categories quantify the customer assurance issues of vendor validation and total cost of ownership and return on investment (TCO/ROI). Ventana Research noted that the largest percentage of organizations using mobile BI place important emphasis on easy access and use of the technology.
“Our mobile solution delivers business-changing mobile apps that make employees more productive and achieve results in less time and at a fraction of the cost,” said Hugh Owen, VP of Mobile Products, MicroStrategy Incorporated. “In 2011-2012, we saw hundreds of organizations deploying to hundreds of users. Since early 2013, MicroStrategy’s enterprise mobile apps are now helping thousands of organizations, and these organizations are deploying to thousands and tens of thousands of employees, highlighting the importance of reliability, where we had the highest category rating overall in the Value Index. We’re extremely excited to play such a critical role in the mobilization of the enterprise.”
MicroStrategy Mobile Delivers Significant Business Value to Thousands of Organizations
Thousands of organizations have received significant business value from deploying MicroStrategy Mobile apps to support new business processes and mobilize existing operational and information systems. For example, luxury brand retailer GUCCI has been able to conduct business in ways simply not possible before. At the recent MicroStrategy World 2014 conference held in Las Vegas, GUCCI’s CIO Simone Pacciarini delivered a live demonstration of their innovative use of MicroStrategy to deliver a better retail experience for their employees and customers. A video of the GUCCI demonstration is available here: http://youtu.be/z4SzR44BqRw.
Of the thousands of innovative business apps in production, MicroStrategy customers across the globe have also performed ROI analyses to measure the impact of mobile technology on their enterprise. Customers are noting the many benefits of deploying MicroStrategy Mobile. For example:
- AutoTrader.com credits its MicroStrategy Mobile app as being a “game changer” that has transformed how their sales reps work; reps spend less time on meeting preparation and more time developing additional opportunities. AutoTrader.com’s Senior Director of Enterprise Data and Shared Services said, “One of the things we use to measure the value of the MicroStrategy platform is the usage from our dealer customers and our salesforce, and the usage of the platform has grown 40 times.”
- A global leader in insurance brokering and risk management said it generated an incremental $10M in revenue in the first 90 days of its MicroStrategy Mobile app rollout.
- A leading Fortune 1000 software company cites a 30 percent increase in deal size associated with the use of its MicroStrategy app for sales reps.
- A large European healthcare system said it achieved 25 percent time savings using the MicroStrategy app. The internal reporting team saves one week every month fulfilling report requests. Furthermore, cost savings on paper for one year offset the cost of the MicroStrategy app; thus, the solution not only makes the organization more “green,” it pays for itself.
- Having rolled out a MicroStrategy app to 10,000 store managers, a large global discount supermarket chain said it achieved time savings of 17 percent—enabling managers to spend more time with their employees, the merchandise business, and customers to provide better service.
- One of the largest international airports said it saved 4,000 person hours a year with the use of its MicroStrategy app for operations analysis. The app has increased the level of accountability, transparency and efficiency within the airport’s various business units and has reduced paper consumption by 50 percent.
To access a free copy of the report, visit: http://www.microstrategy.com/ventana-mobile-bi-value-index-2014.
I get a free pass to MicroStrategy World in Las Vegas which is the last week of this month. Last year, they gave us awards too. Not sure yet if they will do the same this year.
An Exploration of Tax Data
My dashboard is an exploration of tax data. It explores taxes rates for the top ten counties in terms of GDP.
I used horizontal stacked bar charts instead so that the viewer can visually see how social security and income tax rate add up to the total and explains visually why the countries are ordered the way they are on the dashboard. I also separated out $100K and $300K percentages into separate visuals.
In addition, I added the flags of the countries. Yes, I know, chart junk!
Now, you don’t see any numbers on the data points in this dashboard. The reason you don’t see them is because they appear when you mouse over a bar where you then see the country, category and the percent value as a tooltip.
Here is a screenshot of my entry. It was written with MicroStrategy v9.3.1, Report Services and the Visualization SDK.
Click on image to enlarge